Tuesday 25 September 2012

Important quotes from chapters 1-3

Chapter 1
-"There is a way to be good again"
-"That was a long time ago, but it’s wrong what they say about the past, I’ve learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out."
-"It was my past of unatoned sins."
These quotes straight away show that there has been some conflict in Amir's life, and something in his past is troubling him. The 'unatoned sins' also implies that he may have done something in his life which was related to the event which he is trying to forget.

Chapter 2
-"Hassan never denied me anything"

This quote shows the strong bond between the two boys. It also shows how loyal Hassan was towards Amir.
-"I'm in his arms, but it's Rahim Kahn's pinky my fingers are curled around"
The relationship between Amir and his father is clear in this quote, he is obviously not very close to his father, and the way his fingers are curled around Rahim Kahn's pinky shows he may feel closer to him than his father.

Chapter 3
-"At parties when all six-foot-five of him thundered into the room, attention shifted to him like sunflowers turning to the sun."
This quote shows how powerful Baba is, and the simile used, comparing him to the sun, also shows respect from others.
-"You can't love someone who lives that way without fearing him too. Maybe even hating him a little."
-"It wasn't often Baba talked to me, let alone on his lap"
-"The least I could have done was to have the decency to have turned out a little more like him."
-"I already hated the kids he was building the orphanage for; sometimes I wish they'd all dies with their parents"
Again these show the unstable relationship between Amir and his father. Even though Amir looks up to his father and seeks his affection he also fears him and resents him slightly for the way he controls everything and  doesn't pay much attention to his son. The last quote shows that he is jealous of people who get attention from Baba, and this is also shown in chapter 2 where Amir talks about Baba putting his arm around Hassan.
-"If I hadn't seen the doctor pull him out of my wife with my own eyes, I'd never believe he was my son."
Shows Baba is slightly disappointed that Amir has not turned out like him at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment